Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hitting the Books


As you might have guessed I'm an art student. I'm currently taking 18 credits and working at the Woodbury Art Museum 30 hours a week. That kind of schedule is enough to make anyone crazy. Besides my art history classes there are no text books. But that doesn't mean that we artists don't read. There are over a dozen books that are piling up in the chair in my room that I am currently reading, skimming, and studying from. I thought it might be helpful to share with you some of my favorite books in future posts. Right now, "Book + Art, Handcrafting Artists' Books" by Dorthy Simpson Krause has really got me excited. I like this book because it combines artmaking and bookbinding ideas together. It even explores boxes and unbound collections. The instructions are easy to understand and inspirational.

I am currently learning some simple bookbinding techniques that I will share in a later in a post. For you local Utah readers, the Woodbury Art Museum will be having a book binding work shop very soon. Will let you know about the dates soon. Let me know if you are interested so I can get a good idea about how many to plan for.



No comments: