Wednesday, September 30, 2009

50 Drawings in 50 minutes






























To prepare for this I gathered various types of paper and different drawing and painting materials I enjoy. I used an object, in this case a pair of glasses that was missing a lens and drew it for about 60 seconds. Then I switched to a new piece of paper every minute. Exercises like this are useful for revealing the way we work and think as artists.


Immediately I looked at the drawings and wrote notes about how I was affected by the time restraints and what developed through the process. In the beginning I was nervous about making true marks that would identify the form accurately. I knew the process was going to be long so it started out as work.


As I warmed up I began moving the object around and then I even added a bottle to personify the objects more. I drew 17-23 blind with a marker. I was surprised at how accurate I was. I began to single out parts of the glasses that seemed symbolic. I like the limbs of the glasses crossing. They seemed to be guarded. I became agitated in the middle worried that I would run out of ideas. Then when I realized the end was near I calmed down. I switched to watercolor. I began to zoom in to shapes that I liked more. At this point I could have kept going because it was no longer work.


I reached a place where I began to be connected. I thought of the rushed days thatI don't have the opportunity to take time for myself to think and ponder. Those are days that I become easily frustrated and I have less patience for others. I contrasted that feeling with the days when I do take time to read and think and meditate and my view of the world is full of light and inspiration. I like the glasses that have the yellow paint and missing lens because I was able to construct a visual verse about that experience.


I found this exercise to be very helpful. I hope it proves to be helpful for you as well. Have you noticed up anything about these drawings and this process that I didn't mention? Please share it with me. If you try this exercise on your own let me know how it works for you.

2 comments:

Collin said...

My favorites are still 4 and 8.

Jess said...

Thanks Collin.